Did I mention I’m a beginner and I haven’t sewn in a while?
If the goal was merely to get back in my sewing room and do stuff, then it was a resounding success. The garment itself? Not so much.
That’s OK. I’ll try not to be too depressed at the reminders that some knits are curly and hard to work with. I’ll try not to get depressed over the reminder that attaching the neckband is not nearly as easy as they make out (just 2 pins, really???), especially when one is reckless about it.
I’ll try to benefit from the experience, e.g., the fact that I had to cut the neckband at least three times because the first TWO times I sewed it right sides together. DUH.
I’ll try not to get upset about how hard it is to unpick stitches when things go wrong (no, I did not try to unpick the neckband, which was zigzagged, and would have been madness. This was a different part). And I’ll make an extra effort not to have to unpick stitches in thin lycra-blend knits.
OK, I had already ruined the garment before attaching the neckband, so I decided to see how little effort I could get away with… Live and learn, right?
I’ll consider it a muslin, because after all, I have changed shape and size since the last time I used this pattern (the famous
Topstitching would help, but since the shirt was ruined anyway, I didn’t bother
Jalie 2805 t-shirt pattern). Plus I had already poked a hole in it trying to pick out some stitches, which is probably why I was so cavalier about the crazy way I put the neckband on (which, btw, not only requires more than 2 pins, IMHO, but some top-stitching as well, also in my equally oh-so-humble opinion. Unless I’m just doing it wrong).
It was also a good reminder to be careful backstitching (or avoid when possible) on stretch jersey…. tends to get eaten by machine.
I’ll also consider it an opportunity to practice my finishing skills: I never did get the double cuff stitching right last time. I’ll spend time with it this time (note after the fact: oops, no I didn’t), even though with the way the neckband is, I probably won’t even be wearing this thing around the house. Well, good, then. It’s really a practice piece now… and one less item in my overgrown stash. Ahem.
Oh, and as if I hadn’t had enough Three Stooges moments, I really shone when winding the bobbin yesterday. I did get out the manual and try to read the instructions, but got bored in an instant. As a result, I left out a crucial step and now there is a lot of thread wound under the bobbin seat, or whatever it’s called, and I don’t know how or if that will ever come off. I did have a loose end and was patiently unwinding it, but I guess my patience may have worn out or the piece broke on its own. In any case, knock wood, but the bobbin seemed to wind OK after that anyway.
Needless to say, this was not my favorite piece of fabric, and not a look I might even want to wear in public. I know better than that So…. practice, practice, practice. I do wonder how I’ll get the neckline right. Perhaps I’ll read some more reviews on PatternReview; I know there is at least one reviewer who mentioned a better way, and that was years ago, so maybe there are more by now.
Since the garment was ruined anyway, I practiced my twin needle skills: bad. In, fact, just sewing the hem with a single needle was messy enough. Stupid curl made it hard to measure all the way around, and the sewing itself was ridiculous. I don’t like topstitching knits, or at least not ones with lycra. Maybe it is time for some research. Maybe I need to look into the “banded hem and cuffs” approach.